As noted in my last post, I love metaphors and am a huge fan of using them to presentations. I am not, however a huge fan of the same metaphors being used over and over again. In the last post, I brainstormed alternatives to a tree being used for growth. Today, I’d like to conquer scales being used to demonstrate balance/unbalance.
Metaphors for balance and metaphors for unbalance:
- Carpenters Level
- A seesaw
- Flight instruments
- Liquid in something
- Piles of paper in 2 different in/out bins
- 2 people holding same/different amounts of something
- Boxes/other containers next to each other holding similar or different amounts of items
- Someone’s body being lopsided somehow
- A car that isn’t perfectly level, tail light out, etc.
- Someone walking unsteadily
- Animal missing a leg, etc.
- Someone’s hair that isn’t even next to someone with the same cut that is
- Someone with a disheveled appearance (shoes falling off, skirt in panty hose, etc)
- Something very rich an elegant next to something in poor condition/cheap looking
- A hand being held out that is very steady
- Someone doing balanced yoga poses (like tree pose)
- Balance beam, maybe with someone on it
Can you think of more? Please add them in the comments!